Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Deer Mountain






































When I was in Mammoth Lakes, CA in August 2009, I hiked many trails, but none as challenging as Deer Mountain (though I didn’t dare try Shadow Lake… my balance is atrocious). The trail branched off the end of the Inyo Crater Trails (I’ll put pictures of the craters up in future posts). It was basically a vertical climb to the top; extremely vertical. It was more rock climbing than actual hiking, and I had my fair share of slips. Though finally after my two hour effort; I made it to the top. I didn’t know what I was going to find at the end, I learned about the trail in one of the informational newspapers about the Inyo County area and it didn’t mention any goal. Turns out that the end leads to a sheer drop-off, but the scenery was incredible. I could see all the trees blanketing the horizon along with the clear blue sky. It was the ideal panoramic view for a hiking enthusiast. Seems like all the hard work paid off. I sat at the top alone for a little while. After about five minutes my dog comes walking up the trail. I do love my American Foxhound. After soaking in the salutary air and brilliant sunlight, it was time to head down. Sliding down was even harder than climbing up, but finally I made it back down to the craters. It was one of my favorite hikes. I loved the mystery and accomplishment of it all. I can’t wait to go back and hike it again.

It’s easy to find hikes around any area if you know where to look. They’re actually not very far from where we live. El Dorado Park in Long Beach, CA has a Nature Trail that can be from 0.5 mi.-2 mi. long (depending on which path you take). I’ve seen many amazing trails near Laguna Beach, CA, not to mention all the ones in the L.A. National Forest. Several mountains are near our area and provide great day hike trails, for instance, Mount Baldy or Mount Wilson. Mt. Wilson is only about an hour away from Cypress, CA. It provides an ideal opportunity to go hiking and have a picnic lunch. During the winter time it’s the best place to go sledding and have the side of the mountain to yourself!

Hiking is a healthy and rewarding activity. It’s nice to get out of the city every once in a while and experience the fresh mountain air. You won’t regret it.

Trails can be found at:
http://trails.sierraclub.org/index.html
http://www.localhikes.com/Default.asp

About the sites: The Sierra Club provides trails where you can bike and paddle as well. Localhikes.com was recommended to me by an OA teacher.

0 comments: